Communications with Angelina an Mexican American Discussion
- Identify an individual from another culture or co-culture to interview for this assignment. Do consider your classmates and their co-cultures; anyone in class you would like to interview? (examples: ethnicity, race, religion, country of origin, age/generation, socioeconomic class, or groups with a common trait, belief, or hobby such as Cosplayer, Trekkie, or Nudist (I indicate these as hobbies only because they are not 24/7… I don’t think). The list are just some options, email your instructor if you need more ideas or feedback on your idea).
- Develop 8-10 interview questions that are designed to help you understand the culture. You are not required to ask all of the questions, but you should have a variety of questions to choose from. Your questions should be open ended questions- meaning they can’t be answered as “yes” or “no”. (Consider some of the content you wrote about in your own Cultural Identity paper- i.e., Hofstede’s and Kluckhohn & Strodtbeck’s Value Orientations)
- Set a date and time for conducting your interview, and take notes in response to each question you ask.
- Write paper that addresses the paper guidelines listed below.
- 3-5 pages, double spaced, Arial or Times New Roman, 11 or 12 point font.
- Address the following components:
- Name of the interviewee (or pseudonym if the interviewee prefers), and the culture or co-culture to which they belong.
- Reasons why you chose the culture/co-culture and interviewee.
- The expectations you had going into the interview, and whether they were met.
- Summarize the responses given to your questions, and indicate how they illustrate concepts or theories that we’ve addressed this term.
- The most valuable lesson about culture that you learned from the interview.