Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 5, 13
- Link (Word doc): Con-Position Proposal Template
- Minimum of 3 new articles (academic or credible online sources different from Weeks 1 & 2 articles)
Apply the following writing resources to your posts:
- Link (library article): Counterpoint: Vaccines: Caution Advised (Links to an external site.) (This is a sample con article. This link will take you to an overview of vaccines. Click on the title under Related Items in this overview area to access the article.)
- Link (multimedia presentation): Citing References in Text (Links to an external site.)
- Link (website): APA Citation and Writing (Links to an external site.)
For this assignment, you will select a topic different from the pro topic you worked on in Weeks 1-2. Conduct research on the topic and locate articles that takes a clear con position.
Next, develop a con-position proposal for this new topic. The goal of the proposal is to create a working thesis statement and basic research plan that considers context, audience, purpose, and presents potential sources. A proposal is not an outline, as it does not structure the paper. Rather, a proposal offers direction for research needs and gives your professor an opportunity to provide feedback before the drafting process.
Access the Con-Position Proposal Template and complete the six required sections:
- Research Question
- Research Plan
- Synthesis Matrix (Add the 3 con sources.)
- Reference Page
For an example proposal, refer to pages 269-270 of our textbook.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 1 to 1.5 pages (not including title page & reference page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page & Reference Page
- Reference page (3 articles)