Most Intriguing Sociologists
read Chapter 1 of your text, watch this week’s lecture, and take the time to research the names of early American sociologists: W.E.B. Du Bois, Ida B. Wells (Links to an external site.) and Jane Addams (Links to an external site.).
1) Which sociologists do you find most intriguing and why?
2) From your brief inquiry into the American sociologists listed above, what did you find to be particularly surprising or interesting?
3) Why do you think that these sociologists tend to be left out of textbooks (this one included?) What do you think the impact of this is on students who are just learning about the field of sociology?
Sociological Thinking in the time of Corona
1) Why is sociological thinking so important for the well-being of society during this pandemic?
2) What values or beliefs in U.S. culture might make it difficult for people to understand the importance of social solidarity and follow social distancing?
3) Have you seen any examples of social solidarity happening during this pandemic? Explain.