definition and explanation
Watch Babies, which follows four babies in different geographical locations (USA, Tokyo, Namibia, and Mongolia) for the first year of their lives, documenting the vastly different worlds these children occupy. Note the many developmental milestones that people around the world will meet regardless of cultural context. Consider the great impact different environments might have on various aspects of development: nutrition and physical development, childcare arrangements and social development, parenting styles and emotional development, educational practices and cognitive development, just to name a few.Select any one concept from developmental psychology. You may choose something you noted from the video or something else entirely, even from a different age range. Possibilities include (but are not limited to) the following: attachment (e.g., Harlow), temperament, parenting styles, moral development (e.g., Kohlberg), cognitive development (e.g., Piaget), psychosocial development (e.g., Erikson), adolescence (e.g., Marcia), gender development, education, child or elderly care, feeding practices, play, and so on. Pick something that interests you. (As an example to illustrate this discussion assignment, a student could choose the concept of “sleeping arrangements”; however, please note that you may not choose this as your topic.).Locate a scholarly article examining this concept/developmental pattern from a cultural or cross-cultural perspective.
- On the library homepage, click on the Advanced Search link, found under the search box. In the first search box, enter a keyword or key phrase relating to the concept you have selected. In the second search box, enter the word culture.
- For tips on generating keywords, watch this library tutorial: Keywords are Critical.
- Below the search boxes, look for the Limit your results section and select Limit to Full Text and Limit to Scholarly/Peer Reviewed.
- Then, click Search.
Read “Independence and Interdependence in Children’s Developmental Experiences”. Discuss development. In your discussion, include the following:
- Describe the developmental stage/concept/issue, providing a definition and explanation. What do we know about this developmental topic? (Following the selected example to illustrate this discussion assignment, consider American sleeping practices and ideals.).
- Based on the article(s) you located (and, if relevant, the video you watched), distinguish mainstream psychological knowledge about development with knowledge from a cultural perspective. How does culture provide additional insight on this topic? (Following the selected example to illustrate this discussion assignment, consider Indian sleeping practices and ideals.).
- Formulate plausible explanations for cultural differences. Why does this stage/concept/issue differ depending upon culture? (Following the selected example to illustrate this discussion assignment, consider cultural ideals of independence and interdependence; see also Raeff, 2010.).
- Explain the value in cultural awareness with regard to development.
Remember to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
Post your initial response of 250 words or more