Describe examples of the different types of norms operativea
What are the main arguments that Grazian and other readings assigned for this week make about the relationship between social class and cultural consumption? Do you think there a value-difference today between popular culture and high culture? Why/why not? Include specific examples to support your argument.
The Week 6 Forum meets the following course objectives:
· Compare and contrast culture, popular, high culture, elite culture, mass culture, low culture, subculture and counterculture.
· Describe examples of the different types of norms operative in popular culture, and how these are related to the process of social control.
· Apply key cultural theories and analytical dimensions for examining popular culture.
· Explain how various elements of popular culture inform or reflect our attitudes, behavior, and society and why the popular culture becomes popular.
· Illustrate diversity in popular culture and concepts of multiculturalism, ethnocentrism, and cultural relativism with reference to key stratifying factors such as gender, race, ethnicity, class, age, region and sexuality.