Develop a definition of leadership, writing homework help
Write 2–3 pages in which you reflect on your own understanding of leadership and your approach to developing leadership skills, and explain how leadership differs from management.
In the 21st century, the study of leadership is multidisciplinary, with contributions from the fields of history, philosophy, psychology, political science, business, and education (Northouse, 2007). There are almost as many definitions of leadership as there are people who have tried to define it. Although we intuitively know what the word means, it has different meaning for different people. Manning and Curtis (2012) explained, “Leadership is social influence. It means leaving a mark. It is initiating and guiding, and the result is change” (p. 2).
SHOW LESSBy successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Evaluate the purpose and relevance of leadership.
- Develop a definition of leadership.
- Explain the importance of defining leadership.
- Competency 2: Evaluate how leadership strengths apply in the workplace and within the community.
- Describe strategies to develop leadership skills.
- Develop a definition of management.
- Explain the differences between leadership and management.
Manning, G., & Curtis, K. (2012). The art of leadership (4th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
Northouse, G. (2007). Leadership theory and practice (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.