Major Assessment 7: Using an Epidemiological Approach to Critically Analyze a Population Health Issue
Write a 12- to 15-page paper that addresses the following:
Section 1: The Problem (developed as Assignment 2; submitted at the end of Week 6)
· A brief outline of the environment you selected (i.e., home, workplace, school)
· A summary of your selected population health problem in terms of person, place, and time, and the magnitude of the problem based on data from appropriate data resources (Reference the data resources you used.)
· Research question/hypothesis
Section 2: Research Methods (developed as Assignment 2; submitted at the end of Week 6)
· The epidemiologic study design you would use to assess and address your population health problem.
· Assessment strategies (i.e., if you were conducting a case-control study, how would you select your cases and controls? Regarding the methods and tools you would use to make these selections, how is it convenient for you as the researcher or as the investigator to use this tool?)
· Summary of the data collection activities (i.e., how you would collect data—online survey, paper/pen, mailing, etc.)
Section 3: The Intervention (developed as Assignment 3; submitted at the end of Week 8)
· An outline of an intervention you would implement to address the population health problem with your selected population based on the results of the study in Section 2. Note: If you selected a descriptive study design, you are still required to outline an intervention that might be developed based on future research on.
· A review of the literature that supports this intervention
Section 4: The Impact (developed as Assignment 3; submitted at the end of Week 8)
· An explanation of the health outcome you would be seeking and the social impact of solving this issue
Section 5: Evaluation (developed as Assignment 4; submitted in Week 9)
· An evaluation plan based upon the health outcome that you have chosen and your anticipated results
The Final Paper (with feedback incorporated) is due by Day 3 of Week 11. This serves as your Major Assessment for this course.
Your written assignments must follow APA guidelines. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from appropriate Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association to ensure that your in-text citations and reference list are correct.
© 2012 Laureate Education Inc. 1