For this assignment, you will restructure your research paper argument in order to reach a new audience by composing a public piece, an argument presented in a medium appropriate for the public domain. Therefore, your audience for this will be the general public and not the academic community.
You will consider your purpose and audience in order to design a piece that’s compelling, convincing, and credible.
After you write the public piece, you will write a detailed analysis paragraph, where you argue how you shifted your argument to fit your new audience and purpose. You should use specific evidence and analysis from your own writing to show this. Use the MEAL plan to create a strong paragraph.
For this assignment, you have the following options to reach the public:
- An editorial cartoon that would be published in a newspaper
- A public service announcement in the form of a video/commercial (1-2 minutes)
- A poem or song that reflects thoughts and emotions relevant to your stance
After you compose your public piece, you will write an analysis paragraph about the choices you made as a writer.
Your public piece should:
- Establish a clear audience and purpose.
- Stand as an authentic, engaging, and polished piece that the public could consume.
- Communicate an argument effectively with no gaps in logic or credibility.
Your analysis paragraph should:
- Argue how you shifted your argument to fit your new audience and purpose.
- Include specific evidence from your own writing to show this.
- Offer analysis of your choices to show your topic sentence’s point.
- Follow the MEAL plan for paragraph organization.
- Read clearly with strong academic tone and style.
I would like my research paper turned into a poem that reflects thoughts and emotions relevant towards my paper. I will provide the paper for you to read once I have chosen someone to complete the paper.
30 points: Organization (The public piece follows a logical sequence that guides the reader clearly to a purpose.)
40 points: Development (The public piece utilizes meaningful examples to illustrate the point without gaps in logic or credibility.)
15 points: Grammar (The public piece demonstrates a tone and style that is appropriate to the audience and that establishes the credibility of the author.)
15 points: Conventions (The public piece follows the genre standards of the chosen style in order to be credible.)
25 points: Analysis Paragraph (The analysis paragraph fulfills the assignment guidelines with accuracy and insight.)