For your essay follow these instructions from pgs. 153-4 of Thinking for Yourself by Marlys Mayfield. “Think of a major problem from your own life (or someone else’s) that involved the discovery of one or more hidden assumptions. If you prefer to use historical examples from the lives of explorers, artists, or scientists, do some research on the kinds of problems they succeeded in solving.” Develop and emphasize the following elements:
- What particular problem concerned your subject?
- What assumptions were embedded in the problem?
- How were these assumptions discovered?
- What restraints did these assumptions impose?
- What, if any, wrong assumptions were made?