Graduate STEM Education Assistance
Directions: This is a STEM Class for Secondary Education (which is Middle and High School Education). Please read the directions carefully, this is due within 30 hours!
|Clinical Field Experience A – Inquiry and Collaboration|
Effective instructional methods and engagement strategies create a meaningful way to have students actively learn. Implementing more student-centered learning models allows students to make connections between what they know and what they are learning, and then apply it in different situations.
Allocate at least 3 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Observe and discuss the following with your mentor teacher:
Part 1: Inquiry
During this field experience you will observe a secondary classroom in one of the STEM content areas (science, technology, engineering, or math), paying particular attention to the instructional method the teacher utilizes. Following your observation, collaborate with your mentor teacher and inquire about the following:
· What instructional methods do you use? How do you decide which instructional methods are best suited for each lesson?
· What strategies do you use to integrate all areas of STEM in a lesson?
· What strategies do you use to assess student learning before, during, and after instruction?
· What strategies do you use to engage students in STEM learning?
· What is your strategy to group students for a STEM lesson/project?
Part 2: Collaboration
In addition to your observation and discussion, share with your mentor teacher the requirements document you created detailing the requirements of future field experiences for this course. Specifically address the following:
· Discuss ideas for your STEM lesson plan in an attempt to correlate with the topics the mentor teacher will be covering.
· Schedule to assist the mentor teacher with a specific lesson during Topic 4 that will require you to interact with students.
· Schedule the implementation of your STEM lesson plan during Topic 6 with the class or a small group.
· Identify and meet with a school librarian or media resource specialist and discuss how to integrate technology with your STEM lesson.
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the mentor teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
In 250-500 words, summarize your observation and collaboration with your mentor teacher. What methods and strategies discussed do you anticipate using in your future professional practice? Based on your conversation with your mentor teacher, how prepared are you to meet the requirements in the future field experiences?