Present a 2000 word report that evidences primary research relating to a named operation (that means you identify and name the operation) and address the following operational strategies/considerations:
1. Identify the capacity strategy employed by your chosen operation. This should be considered for the planning cycle of one calendar year (12 months) and should include at least the following resources in the analysis:
• Trading hours
• Labour deployment
• Stock replenishment cycle – from key suppliers, including lead time.
2. The report should then consider, via academic theory, the appropriateness of the capacity strategy identified above. Does the capacity strategy offer the most efficient, effective and economic approach for your chosen operation in their market place? Justify your assertions with evidence from theory and your research.
That to complete this assignment you need to gain access to an operation and research their capacity management, specifically in relation to human resource management and how it relates to the key output of the operation. Secondary research will not provide the depth of information required.
Part 1. Your research needs to include a numerical analysis of the three resources specified, plus other resources you feel will assist in your analysis, for example physical space – if considering a public house, do they have outdoor seating in the summer months?
The opening hours throughout the year e.g. seasonal extensions and reductions?
The human resource activity and identify which are fundamental (core) to the offering and which are supporting (peripheral to) the key output. Consider different types of employment relations (contracts) that are employed over the planning period.
Key suppliers, frequency of ordering, lead times from order to delivery, alternative ‘emergency’ suppliers etc.
Part 2. The report should then consider, via academic theory, the appropriateness of the capacity strategy identified above. Does the capacity strategy offer the most efficient, effective and economic approach for your chosen operation in their market place? Justify your assertions with evidence from theory and your research.
The second task requires you to evaluate the appropriateness of the present system being used. What are the benefits and drawbacks of the choices made by the operation?
You may find that the operation is not opening enough/opening too often (too long or short hours – customer demands can and do shift over time.), under/over staffed, over stocked/understocked at times, could this situation be remedied? What are the consequences of over/under of the resources specified, and any others you think are important to your chosen operation (e.g. machine clean down/set up times)? Are the appropriate types of employment in place? Is the capacity strategy being followed the most effective, efficient and economic for the operation?
You are advised that graphs are a valuable method of presenting your data and identifying patterns, use as appropriate throughout the report.
• To demonstrate understanding of capacity strategy in a ‘real world’ operation.
• To show understanding of capacity strategies and the manipulation of resources.
• To display an understanding of the practical benefits of applying academic theories, tools and models from the field to a ‘real world’ organization’s operational activity.
• To show evidence of academic and field research in investigating specific operational activity of an organization
• To show an ability to write an academic assignment with the appropriate presentation skills and referencing skills required.
Grade Attainment Levels:
A Good Pass will demonstrate a solid understanding and application of the academic principles applicable to the analysis required. Note will be taken of the level of field research that provides evidence of the operational practices of the organization and any additional academic input that adds to and substantiates lecture and seminar discussion.
A ‘basic’ pass will show some evidence of academic understanding and application of the various ideas required, but the analysis may be somewhat weak in providing either field evidence of the operational activity or sound familiarity with application of academic ideas.
A ‘Fail’ mark will lack evidence of sound understanding and application of academic principles and statements and may also exhibit some weakness in the provision of field research of the organization.
Appropriate citation of source documents is essential when presenting written work and it is crucial that you quote the books, journal, web sites etc that you used whilst researching your work.