Select and review an episode of a television show or a film depicting a character that represents a psychology professional.
Review the following:
- American Counseling Association. (2005). ACA code of ethics. Retrieved from http://www.counseling.org/Resources/CodeOfEthics/TP/Home/CT2.aspx
- American Psychological Association. (2003). Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct. Washington, DC: Author. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx
Using the readings analyze the selected episode or film. Complete the following:
- Evaluate the credibility of the character portraying the psychology professional (job title, their credentials, level of experience, etc.).
- If that information on credibility is not clearly provided, identify the characterâ€™s role (psychologist, counselor, etc.) and describe the likely level of education, type of licensure, and estimated number of years of experience. Does the character seem well trained, professional, and experienced?
- Do you have any concerns regarding the ethical behavior of the character? Be sure to cover the following:
- Identify at least one ethical dilemma encountered by the character as well as one example of the character behaving unethically in the episode or film.
- Discuss how the character either made the right ethical choice or describe the ethical behavior the character should have demonstrated.
- Provide the relevant ethics code or standard in quotation marks from the readings.
- How realistically has the psychology profession been depicted in this show or through this character? Does the show harm psychologyâ€™s image or help it? Be specific in your response.
- Identify any multicultural issues that arise in the show or film. Does the character demonstrate multicultural competency? In what way(s)? If not, how did the character demonstrate a lack of that sensitivity and what should the character have done, instead?
- Support your statements with information from academic sources, such as your textbook, assigned readings, and/or articles you find in the Argosy University online library.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 300â€“400 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.