- Original post
- In 750+ words (this would be around 3-4 pages in MS Word)
- Word count at bottom right
- Original post must be posted by the due date shown
- For this seminar, you will delve into the “media torrent” on your own, and find two pieces of media that portray gender in some way. You can use music, videos, t.v. shows, movies, video games.
- For each example you’ve chosen, make sure to provide specific information about what the media is and where it came from. Whenever possible, upload the media into your assignment. Then compose an explanation / analysis that explains how you see this media contributing to our society’s conception of gender, our understanding of gender roles, and our individual expression of gender as part of our identity.
- In his book Media Unlimited: How the Torrent of Images and Sounds Overwhelms Our Lives, Todd Gitlin (Links to an external site.http://toddgitlin.net/)Links to an external site. argues that the contemporary world is bombarded with media to an extreme he calls “supersaturation.” Images, reproduced diminished versions of real things and places, create a “media torrent” that shapes our culture, our lives, our selves.