World History since 1500
- Examine the section of “Working with Evidence” entitled “Contending for Islam.”
- Write an essay based on any three of the four document excerpts in that section, addressing one of the following question-clusters:
- What are the core concerns that divide these authors? What historical circumstances might help to account for the very different understandings of Islam that are reflected in these documents?
- How do you think Kemal Ataturk would have responded to later Islamic modernists such as Sheikh Kabir and/or Saira Khan?
Students may gain additional insight about Ataturk’s reforms by viewing these two segments from the 2013 BBC documentary, The Ottomans: Europe’s Muslim Emperors:
The essay must be:
- Between 1000 and 1200 words in length
- Double-spaced, using a normal-sized font, such as Times New Roman 12-point
- Properly cited: Cite sources—whether directly quoted, paraphrased or summarized.