Using Images as Agents for Morality
Subject to the note above, for this assignment, students will want to read and reference the following article.
- What Truth Looks Like, Bryan Appleyard, New Statesmen, 2018
In the article by Bryan Appleyard, the author examines Derek Parfit’s use of photography to explore morality. For this assignment, you will emulate Parfit’s search for morality through photography and the portrayal of images. Find or create an image, or two, and compose an essay of no less than 600 words in which you connect the assigned course readings on values, with an individual acting as an agent of moral change. Be certain to help your reader understand how your image captures this week’s lesson on individuals as agents of moral change. Be certain to share your image(s) on your assignment post.
You can create your own photographs or find images from noted museums.
- National Museum of American History
- Welcome to the National Museum of American History, National Museum of American History, 2012
- Online Exhibitions, National Museum of American History
- Smithsonian Institute
- Exhibits Online, Smithsonian
- National Museum of African-American History & Culture
- Inside the National Museum of African American History and Culture, CBS This Morning, 2016
- Online Exhibitions, National Museum of African-American History & Culture