Students must address the following in 900–1,200 words:
- The United States, as well as many other countries and airlines, had experienced criminal and terrorist incidents before September 11, 2001. Why had previous incidents not resulted in the dramatic increases in and focus on aviation security that the 9/11 attacks did? Explain.
- How was 9/11 different from an aviation security standpoint? Explain.
- While there have been further attempts to strike the United States by attacking commercial aircraft since 9/11 (e.g., the “shoe bomber” and the “underwear” bomber), none have been successful. How have the steps and measures taken to improve aviation security since 9/11 contributed to the lack of success of the terrorists? Explain.
- What role did the various layers of aviation security play in preventing the attempted attacks after 9/11? Explain.
- Were the effective layers tactical, policy driven, or a combination of both? Explain.