Gestures and Body Motion Discussion
Directions: FIELDWORK ESSAY
KINESICS: the study of body motion or body behavior.
• Emblems: gestures that have a direct verbal translation and can stand alone such as the
• Illustrators: gestures that complement our words such as pointing when giving
• Regulators: gestures that may prolong or terminate the conversation such as looking at
your watch, walking away or nodding and leaning forward.
• Adaptors: gestures that make you feel more comfortable in a communication situation
such as twirling your hair or tapping your fingers.
• Affect Displays: facial expressions motivated by emotion such as a smile or frown.
• In this lesson you will venture out and observe the people around you. Tune out what they
are saying and then sit back and watch. Take notes on what type of gestures (emblems,
regulators, illustrators, adaptors and affect displays) are they using? How often do they
use each one? Are they aware of these gestures? You will then use your notes to write a
typed two page essay describing what you witnessed. Please let us know where you were,
the mall, Starbucks, work etc.. and who was involved, two men sitting at a table…You
may also use something you saw on TV or an interaction between family members or
friends who are quarantining with you.
Describe at least ten
Please submit in drop
box your essay including:
• What type?
• What are they conveying? How many
• What are the circumstances?