The purpose of this project is to demonstrate your understanding of the following course concepts:
- How companies or organizations and individuals use digital or social media to effectively communicate ideas, information, arguments, and messages to achieve a specific goal.
- How digital or social media has transformed the communication of idea, information, and arguments in society.
- Access, analyze, interpret, and evaluate digital media to foster learning and to guide decision-making.
- Make responsible choices in the creation and consumption of digital media based on awareness of global, social, ethical, and legal contexts.1.. The following is course material that we went over in class: Digital Divides 2016 | Pew Research Center http://www.pewinternet.org/topics/digital-divide/2017
2. Aleph Molinari: Let’s bridge the digital divide! (TED Talk video) https://www.ted.com/talks/giorgia_lupi_how_we_can_… SECTION 1: SELECT ONE TOPIC FROM THE 14 TOPICS LISTED ABOVE
Answer the questions below:
Item 1: Which topic did you select?
Item 2: Why does this topic appeal to you?
NOTE 1: Section 1 should be the shortest section of your paper (10-15%).
SECTION 2: SUMMARIZE THE TOPIC YOU SELECTED USING CLASS RESOURCES
Discuss your topic as presented in class.
Item 1: Summarize the information on the topic as presented in the class, using the Read & Watch resources AND any classroom discussion of the topic.
Item 2: Is the topic you selected relevant in a course on digital and social media? Whether you answer yes or no, justify your answer.
Section 2 Sources: Include the source(s) as an in-paper citation and on your References page.
NOTE 2: Section 2 should comprise (30-40%) of your paper.
SECTION 3: CONDUCT ADDITIONAL RESEARCH ON THE TOPIC
Provide additional information on the topic you selected by locating TWO or MORE new resources (in addition to the resources provided in class) to expand your knowledge of the topic.
Item 1: What additional sources did you find on the topic you selected (list at least 2)?
Item 2: Why is each resource you found (a) relevant, (b) credible, (c) accurate, and (d) unbiased based on what you learned from the What is a Credible Source? How to Evaluate Web Resources? Address a-d in your answer.
Item 3: What new information do the two new resources contribute to the topic as presented in class?
Section 3 Sources: Include at least TWO SOURCES related to your topic that are NOT presented, discussed, or posted in the weekly Read & Watch in class or posted in the 15 topic list above. Include these sources as in-paper citations and list them on your References page.
NOTE 3: Section 3 should comprise the majority of your paper (45-60%). This is where your primary focus should be.Paper Requirements
1. Your paper must follow APA format guidelines throughout.
(A sample APA template for you to use is attached to the bottom of this page. It contains Latin placeholder text. Replace the text with your content).
- 1-inch Margins
- 12-point size professional font (e.g. Times New Roman).
- Automatic Page numbers
- Title page
- Reference page
2. Length: Minimum of 1,500
(Title page, Reference page, and direct quotes do not count toward the total word count).
NOTE 4: Going over 1,500 words is fine, but if you are under 1,500 you will be penalized based on the following scale:
4. Title Page
Your title page must be APA formatted and include the following:
- Project Name
- Your Name
- Course Name and Section Number
- Instructor’s Name
- Title of Research Paper Topic
5. References Page
Your References page must be APA formatted.
6. Sources: Include the source(s) from Section 2 and at least TWO (2) sources in Section 3.
Clarification: Please do not use unprofessional sources such as Wikipedia, About.com, Answers.com, Dictionary.com, How.com, or anything remotely similar. Examples of scholarly sources include textbooks, articles, academic journals, and conference proceedings. Scholarly resources are written by experts in their fields, grounded in research, and often refereed (reviewed and edited by researchers in the field). Examples of professional sources include: trade journals or magazines. Professional sources are written for a specific audience that works in certain field. They are not research-based. You can also use our course content (e.g. Read & Watch resources) as a source as well. UMUC has a top-notch, extensive online library. You can find many scholarly and professional sources there.
NOTE 5: You can also use social media (e.g. Twitter posts, blogs, YouTube) sources as well as this is a paper about the use of digital and social media.
7. Setup & Organization
Your paper must include the following pages and Level 1 Headings:
- Cover Page
- Topic Introduction (Section 1)
- Topic Discussion (Section 2)
- Additional Research (Section 3)
- Reference Page
UMUC’s Effective Writing Center offers several resources for APA formatting and citation style.
- APA 6th Manuscript Formatting
- All About APA – Complete Guide
- CiteFast Citation Maker for APA
http://www.citefast.com/?s=APA An example is attached.