If your disease was caused by a bacterium, answer the questions on this page. If not, skip to another page.
Your Name _________________________________ Genus and species of bacterium ____________________________________
Case Study # ____________
- Approximately when was the causative agent for this disease first identified? By whom?
- Is this bacterium a ______Gram + bacillus ______ Acid-Fast
______ Gram + coccus ______ Spirillum
______Gram – bacillus ______ Spirochete
_____ Gram – coccus ______ Vibrio
- Does this bacterium have a capsule or slime layer? ______Yes
- Does this bacterium form spores? ______Yes
- Does this bacterium release an AB Exotoxin or an Endotoxin ______Yes ______ No
- In what type of tissue does this bacterium mainly reproduce?
- Does this bacterium ______only infect humans
______ infect other animals as well as humans
- List the symptoms caused by the bacterium:
- What is the transmission route for this disease?
- On average, how many people contract this disease ___________ every year in the US
___________ every year worldwide
- Is there a region of the world where people have a higher rate of infection?
- Are there At-risk factors for contacting this disease (are there certain people or behaviors that have a higher risk)?
- Is there a vaccine for this disease?
- Once contracted, how is this disease treated? (If antibiotics are used, which ones are most common?)
- What is the annual mortality rate for the disease?
- Can there be long-term side effects from contracting the disease? If so, what are they?