The writing assignment should be about 6 pages-long, Century Schoolbook, 12 pt-font, 1 inch all around, double-spaced and APA format (check APA Style Guides here).
The paper should be presented in an organized and well-thought manner.
- THOSE ARE NOT EASY ASSIGNMENTS. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THOROUGHLY
- Those assignments are NOT summaries of the readings but analyses! (WARNING)
- The goal of this paper is to read and answer the questions by evaluating and analyzing the common points and differences ACROSS the readings using your SOCIOLOGICAL IMAGINATION
- Do NOT write about each article one after another
- When referencing articles, make sure to quote correctly with page number
- Long quotations (3 lines or more) are NOT recommended but if you do use some, make sure they are single-spaced
- Read Evicted book from pp. 111-203 and answer the following 3 questions:
- Question 1: Using your sociological imagination, identify 2 themes and explain how individuals and families are affected by poverty.
- Question 2: Using your sociological imagination, explain how poverty is structured around ethnicity and age.
- Question 3: Select one particular story and analyze it first without using your sociological imagination, and then again with a sociological imagination.
- For the first 2 questions, this is how your answers should be structured:
- Introduction of a common theme identified in the stories
- Explain this theme using your sociological imagination
- How does this theme help us understand the issues faced by people in poverty?
- Provide in-depth analysis around this theme and how it is linked to poverty
- Be sure to provide sources to support your claims (refer to Power & Poverty)
- Provide short examples from the stories
- Repeat for 2nd theme
- The first 2 questions should be roughly 2 pages each and the last question should not be longer than 1 page.
- Check the organization of your paper, spelling and grammar.
-Desmond, Matthew. 2016. Evicted: Poverty & Profit in the American City. 1st ed. Crown. ISBN: 978-0553447453
-Royce, E. 2018. Poverty & Power: The Problem of Structural Inequality. 3rd Ed. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers Inc. ISBN: 978-1538110454
THIS IS NOT A SUMMARY , IT IS AN ANALYSIS OF THE TWO BOOKS CORRELATING TO EACH OTHER.